Hardware Organization Day 2

I was working in my virtual machine lab most of the day today for a work project, so I didn’t spend much time on the wings.  There really isn’t much left on the hardware organization, and I think I have it all finished up tonight.

I started out by putting all the plastic snap bushings into one of the medium harbor freight cases to keep them sorted.  There is still a bit of room in this case, but I’m sure I’ll find some use for it.  Next up, I studied the plans for the aileron assembly and compared them to the detailed instructions in the aileron sub-kit.  I also studied the plans for Service Bulletin SB 16-03-28 so that I could try and organize these parts too.  It appears that all those parts are related to mounting the ailerons, so I stuck all the parts into one of the larger harbor freight cases and labeled them to be ready for when I get to them.

The rest of the time. I spent looking over the plans and just getting ready for the build.  I am excited about getting back to building!  No photos from tonight, since there really wasn’t much going on.

Hardware Organization

I spent A LOT of time organizing all the hardware and small parts today.  I saw a video by Adam Savage talking about his hardware rig from Sortimo, but those things are very expensive.  Further research shows that Harbor Freight has a cheaper copy that should do the job just fine.  I ended up buying several of these medium size cases and a few of these larger sized ones.

The first step was sorting out all the bolts, nuts and washers.  I wanted to put them into the same case since they are typically pulled for use at the same time.  I was actually able to fit all of the nuts, bolts, washers, screws and some other bits into one case!

In another medium case, I stuck all the nutplates and blind rivets.  I ended up keeping them in their plastic baggies, to help them from migrating into each other.  I am going to purchase some little baggies for my nut and bolt case for this same reason.  The cases do a decent job of keeping stuff separate, but those little thin washers are hard to control!

For all the other small bits and pieces, I used a medium case and a large case.  I was able to fit about 90% of these small parts in the cases, so it’ll make it easy to keep track of them until I need them.

For the rivets, I decided to reuse the Husky wall mount parts organizer that I used in my tail kit.  I really like being able to pull the draw out containing the rivet size I needed and carry to my work bench.  Keeping the rivets in their baggies helps to prevent accidents and hours of picking up rivets.  The wing has a lot more different sizes of rivets in both AN470 and AN426 versions.  I consolidated all the left-over rivets from the tail kit with the ones from the wing kit and they all fit in the husky wall mount:

At the end of the day, this all seems like a very small amount of work done for over 6 hours of labor, but a lot of time was spent counting, sorting and consolidating hundreds upon hundreds of nuts, bolts, washers, screws, rivets, etc.   I am not completely done just yet either.  I still have to sort out the bushings and the aileron mount sub-kit and think of what I want to do with the SB sub kit.  Since its related to the ailerons, I will probably consolidate them into one case.  I’ll work on them tomorrow, 6+ hours of sorting is enough for one day 🙂

Here’s all the photos:

Google Photos Link: https://goo.gl/photos/YVEDbLxjz5DE22rb6

Hours Worked: 6.5

 

image_pdf